Monday, October 27, 2008

The post I never wanted to write...

At the end of my last post I said, "I should give Rwanda a chance, eh?".  Well, I did give at least Kigali a chance.  I was amazed with its paved roads and orderly traffic.  I was calmed by her soothing climate and exquisite coffee, and I relished the cool weather and fantastic vistas.  In many ways I was happy to let down my guard and be taken away by this new found love.  I had all I needed to feel safe...

...and then the veracity of underlying poverty reared its ugly head through the thin veneer of so-called development and western comfort and jabbed me in the face!  I stumbled.  More stunned by the attack than the pain and lose of sight.  I grasped for some safety net to catch me, but instead came crashing down to where I never wanted to go.  The place of cynicism, doubt, and mistrust.  Will I ever love again?

*End of dramatization*

Simply, I let my guard down.  I had been walking around downtown Kigali, enjoying the cool climate and good coffee.  I felt safe.  This wasn't the crowded, steamy streets of Bujumbura with its pickpockets and mad traffic.  There was order here, it seemed.  We had pulled up to a gas station to quickly fill up the truck before a nice dinner at the Indian restaurant Khazana.  Brandon and I had gone to change some money, and Paul had stayed with the car to change the oil.  In an act of perfect timing, someone opened the back seat door facing the street and grabbed my backpack and Brandon's computer bag.  Brandon's computer, gone. My camera and Ipod, gone.  No one of course saw anything, the language barrier raised frustrations, and the police report that we labored to file took its good ol' African time.  But none of that really bothered me other than the fact that Africa had finally got me.  I have lived on this continent for so long without being robbed in this way.  Yes, the station was well lit, there was a guard on duty, and Paul was right beside the car, but I still forgot to lock my door.  You ALWAYS lock your door.

Brandon's computer is insured and he will be able to get a replacement soon.  My camera and Ipod served me well for over 2 years.  That morning I had made sure to take out my computer and passport which would have been a nightmare to get replaced if stolen.  So overall I am not  sad or put out about these losses.  I give the glory and credit to God for these feelings of peace.  
He gives and takes away.            

5 comments:

E.S. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeanea said...

oh no!!! your camera?!! that's terrible! do you have another one?

Me said...

yeah, I have a smaller canon, and Brandon is letting me borrow is other SLR also...its all good.

Jeanea said...

ok good...I was panicking for you :-)

Jim said...

What I want to know is HOW did you get that picture of the snake biting your FACE?!? Especially if your camera got stolen!!!