Monday, October 20, 2008

On Lake Tanganyika and Cell Phones



Love the lake, love my phone, but they don't mix very well...







On Saturday I made the unfortunate mistake of diving into the lake with my cell phone in my pocket.  

"Oh don't worry, we've all done it.  Just take it apart and dry it out for a day and it should be fine." 

This might have been true if I had merely jumped into the lake and jumped back out.  A quick dip or sprinkling if you will.  But no, this instance just so happened to be a full immersion of a good 15 minutes till I realized with a sinking heart that my cell was in my pocket.  I could have left it in the lake I suppose, acknowledging the power of nature over technology, but I didn't.  I instead will lay it to rest in a box where I will salvage it for parts.


So what will I do now.  Well, I will buy another cell phone, and next time I am lured into the refreshing waters of Lake Tanganyika I will check my pockets.  Lesson learned, for now.

But lets take a moment to reflect on this.  I had a CELL PHONE in AFRICA.  This is not meant to be a condescending statement, but a simple statement of surprise at how Africa has changed in the past 4 years since I have been gone.  Everyone has a cell phone, maybe not credit to make calls, but a phone to receive them for sure.

I guess I'm just glad that I can bring the great American habit of never planning things before hand to Africa. *Sarcasm* 

"Yeah, lets hang out sometime this weekend!  Just call me, ok?!" 

"I missed your text! Sorry! Maybe next weekend?"

"Hey we are going to X place in 10 minutes, you in?!"

"Hey man, where is the party tonight?"

Ah, how communication has changed. 


2 comments:

Katie said...

Isaac! I laughed when I read this, not only because I have dropped my cell phone in the toilet once, and I did just take it apart and let it dry out. But also because a few weeks ago the bendito hurricane dumped a huge amount of wind and rain here. I accidentally left my window open and my computer got soaked. Yes, my pretty little macbook. It didn't work for two days. But I took everything apart and let it dry and now it works. Gloria a Dios.

Stephanie said...

The first cell phone in the lake was ruined, but the second one we brought back to life with a hair dryer. It's comforting to see we're not the only ones with this problem!