Thursday, October 23, 2008

"I see white people!"

Most of the time I like to plan out my blog posts and make sure that things look good, my grammar isn't too atrocious, and that I have good pictures.  Often I spend a good hour making sure that my post's are, well, cool.  It's sad but I will admit that sometimes I get a little wrapped in this whole blog thing.  So I'm a little insecure.  Let's move on.

I have prefaced this blog entry with the above disclaimer because I am sitting in Bourbon Coffee in downtown Kigali and I just want to share with you a few thoughts that are running through my mind.  So I will try to catch them for you, and we'll see if they make any sense.
I see white people.  Not only are they white people, but they are white people I don't know. Lots of them. Loud American ones.  Not the I know every Muzungu in Buj, but I at least recognize them. I'm a little overwhelmed right now.  

The coffee is really good.  I feel a little guilty as I feel I might be betraying my loyalty to Burundi.

I ordered in English. No pointing to the item on the menu.

I'm sitting in stylish chair. Chic.

The little cookie that came with my coffee was nice.

Nakumat is next door and it has plenty of nice things that I can't get in Burundi, but they are ridiculously expensive.  Do I really need them?

I am reminded of Kenya.  I should give Rwanda a chance, eh? 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, I find your grammar quite good actually so don't worry about it at all. Plus, your prose flows nicely so it certainly shows that you double check your entries.

I might be coming to Buj soon so I am devouring your entries.