Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A thought on Prayer...



So here is a little observation that I have made in the past month that I have been in Burundi.


Burundians pray very long
prayers.

Now, I have done absolutely no research on this or even asked why this is.  I simply have my observational skills to draw from, and my observation is all I really want to share.  

In addition to length and longevity, often these Burundian prayers seem also to be linguistically fluid.  I don't speak Kirundi, but it seems that these prayers are just jam packed with every word the prayer might know!  Word after word comes flowing forth in an undulating diction that falls somewhere between a song and a chant.  To my Kirundi-lacking ear, it is mesmerizing. 
                                                        





"If my people pray..."





These Burundian prayers seem to fall in sharp contrast to the prayers I have observed that we Westerners pray.  We seem to pray shorter, more precise, and less fluid prayers.  Praises and requests are formulated in our minds before uttered in voice.  Aside from those who are indeed eloquent with words, often it seems our prayers can sometimes be less polished.

So there. Voila! My observation.  I would be interested in knowing the reasons for these differences, but honestly I don't think it really matters.  I don't think the Lord is concerned with longevity or preciseness of word.  He looks at the heart.  A sincere heart that desires to be in His presence and worship Him.  I think He delights both in our fragments of supplication or our well crafted psalms of praise! 

No comments: