Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Do you eat food?

I have recently just finished reading "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan.

The book is much longer than it should be, but worth it none the less. Pollan feels the need to defend food not because food is under attack or people aren't eating enough, but because what we are gorging ourselves with in the West (he contends) is not really food (agreed). We instead consume "food-like" products that are made or enhanced by nutrients that we think food should contain and our bodies need. 

These "nutrients" are what we have come to replaced food with. So instead of eating a peach, you just actually want 100% of you daily value of vitamin C, and since peaches aren't always in season and not found in the vending machine, why not then drink a soda that has been enhanced with vitamin C! All the other not-so-highly advertised or yet to be discovered benefits of a nice juicy peach are sadly forgone, and instead a mind-numbing flood of sugars are rushed to the brain. 

The basic motto of the book is "Eat Food. Not Much. Mostly Plants." This eating motto has for the most part reflected my time here in Burundi. Meat is expensive, and there are many fruits and vegetables in the market to enjoy (not exactly the equivalent of a farmers market ). That being said there is one product in Burundi that I consume on a daily basis that is, well, processed.
Nido Full Cream Powdered Milk.

This food invention has been with me since my childhood. It holds great nostalgic appeal to me as I can remember it as one of my first African memories. I use to take Milo Chocolate powder, mix it with Nido, and then add only enough water to turn it into this creamy chocolate paste. Revolting to me now, but oh so delicious when I was 4 years old.

With this milk product, populations around the world that have no access to refrigeration have been able to store at least in some form, milk. Here in Burundi I take a full scoop of this powdery wonder in my tea every morning. I normally wouldn't think twice about it, but the Chinese milk scandal now has me sipping my tea with some hesitation!

My mother was always so happy that when in the United States on furlough her children could have REAL milk to drink.  I remember absolutely hating this new "real" milk
and couldn't wait to have Nido again!  It's what you're use to, I guess.

On a similar note, tomorrow kicks off the beginning of America's annual month of binge eating (Thanksgiving through Christmas).  I know you can't mail your leftover turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans, stuffing, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, rolls, and whatever else you don't eat to "starving kids in Africa", but maybe you could take it to your local homeless shelter this year? OR, if you by some chance really do care about the starving kids in Africa you could maybe make a simple Thanksgiving meal, and donate the money saved to Food for the Hungry!  I'm sure you can still be thankful for God's blessings without a food coma. 

*Please note that when I use the word "you" I am not picking out any one person that I wish to harp on (except maybe the general American consumer)* 

2 comments:

Paul, Rebecca, Oren and David Mosley said...

What is hard for me is that in the Christian community, food is also a representation of love and hospitality. Yet we literally feed those we love to death, enticing them with sweets and goodies that send our men to early graves with coronary artery disease, and women with strokes. Sometimes I am tempted to bring a carton of cigarettes to a church potluck just to make a point. As American Christian's we need to be more creative this Christmas with ways to express our love for each other than giving food to those who do NOT need it!

Jessamyn said...

okay, so right after i read your most recent blog post (okay the next day) while perusing the international aisle at my local kroger, nido almost popped off the shelf at me - and i can never ever remember seeing that before. i almost bought some just to try it in my cereal or something. but maybe i'll wait til a time when we're all together again and we can share in that almost ceremonial experience together.